Monday, September 19, 2011

What Happens Next?

My eyeballs ache. If I had a cucumber, I would apply soothing slices while I recuperate after finishing my marathon galley review. Now I wait to find out what happens next.

While I'm waiting, I'll show you what the wholesalers will be told about Voluntary Nomads:

"Nancy LaTurner's engaging memoir begins in 1974 as her young family struggles without a livelihood in rural New Mexico. When a welcome stroke of luck lands her husband Fred a job with the State Department, Nancy eagerly packs their few belongings and bundles up their 20-month-old son and 12-month-old daughter for the journey from Los Lunas, New Mexico to Washington, DC and onward to any of 200 U.S. Embassies around the world.

"Empowered by Nancy's enthusiasm and Fred's optimism, the naïve little family embraces their first assignment in Tehran during the final days of the Shah's regime. Dropped straight into a different culture and language in a country suffering the turmoil of revolutionary unrest, the LaTurners learn how important adaptability is to their new way of life.

"Throughout Voluntary Nomads, Nancy's recollection of raising two children in extraordinary conditions demonstrates that the triumphs and heartaches of family life go on, no matter how exotic the locations or unique the experiences. Nancy's stories of Foreign Service family adventures in Iran, Cameroon, New Zealand, Somalia, Dominican Republic, Austria, and Bolivia, told with warmth, insight, and candor, celebrate the resilience and resourcefulness of a spirited American family."

Later this week, I'll give you another peek inside the book....

1 comment:

  1. Oooh la la - now that's a comment guaranteed to bring a smile to any author's lips!

    ReplyDelete