Monday, September 26, 2011

Where Credit Is Due

News Flash: Voluntary Nomads went to the printer on Friday!

Before I go any further with excerpts or serialization (I haven't decided which it will be), I want to give credit where credit is due:

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
I always thought of myself as a woman of few words and, with this memoir in mind, I wondered if it would be possible for me to write a book's worth of words on one subject. I joined National Novel Writing Month to find out. NaNoWriMo challenges writers to produce 50,000 words in one month, and I succeeded! With that strong beginning, I had no trouble continuing for several thousand more. Then I sent all thirty-three chapters to my marvelous friend and editor, Ruth Friesen, who scrutinized every sentence with her discriminating eye for both grammar and content. After making the changes that Ruth suggested, I rounded up a posse of readers. My husband Fred and daughter Tina helped jog my memory of key events. Dave Malitz offered valuable advice on several elements and also found a few pesky typos. Ellen LaPenna provided her expert editorial guidance, and Beth Malitz wowed me by reading the whole book in one day. Throughout the whole process I felt empowered by the support of writing coach and mentor Mark David Gerson who exemplifies what it means to live and write one's own truth. My heartfelt thanks go to all of you.


My next post here will be either an excerpt or Chapter One -- what would you rather see?

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Nancy. It was a pleasure and honor to be one of the first to read your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover design, Nancy!

    Thanks for acknowledging me here and best wishes with the final publishing process. I always enjoy your delightful writing style and loved reading these transporting stories, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark David, I'll always be grateful for your encouragement.
    Ruth, You kept me going all the way through.
    Ellen, Sounds like you like the cover as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete